- Posted by CERC India
- Posted in Pharmaceuticals
8 brands of ayurvedic eyedrops were tested for safety and quality.
November – December 2002
- 8 brands of ayurvedic eyedrops were tested for safety and quality.
- The brands tested were Bhawsars ayurvedic eyedrops, Itone, Itis, Jiwadaya Netraprabha, Netra Sudarshan Ark, Netrasudha, Nayan Bindu and Ophthacare.
- There are no laws/Standards governing the safety and quality of ayurvedic eyedrops.
- 4 brands â€” Netra Sudarshan Ark, Netrasudha, Jiwadaya Netraprabha and Nayan Bindu – were found contaminated.
- An insect was found in one sample of Netra Sudarshan Ark and hair in the other. Large particles were found in all samples of Nayan Bindu.
- Netra Sudarshan Ark, Bhawsars and Netrasudha did not conform to the labelling requirements for ayurvedic eyedrops prescribed under the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules.