CA – DEC 14 – CONSUMER TIPS
- Posted by CERC India
- Posted in Uncategorized
How to be smart while moving homeMoving into a new home is a major life change. However, it should be an enjoyable experience and not a stressful time. Our tips will help you move and get settled smoothly.
- Clean the house: Clean your new home thoroughly and get painting, plumbing or pest control done before you move your stuff. If it is not possible to complete these tasks before shifting, do them before you have fully unpacked and arranged furniture.
- Inform important contacts: Apart from relatives and friends, inform all important contacts, such as your bank, credit card company and insurance company, about the change in address. Also, ensure that the basic utilities like electricity and water supply are operational.
- Discarding spree: While you are packing, probably with the help of professional movers, seize the opportunity to discard items that you havenâ€™t used in the recent past. This would ease your packing work, shifting and also unpacking.
- Pack boxes by the room: See that the packers pack similar items together. Tell them to label a box as per the concerned room it has to be kept in, put an arrow with a marker indicating which side is up and mention on the box in bold letters if the items inside are fragile. Keep a list of what each box contains.
- Pack an essentials box: Prepare a box that has all the items which you will need for your last few nights before you move and the first few nights in your new home. This should include your toiletries, towels, medicines, some clothes and a tool kit. Also, include some dry food packets for munching or quick cooking.
- Carry important items: Donâ€™t leave important documents and valuable items for the movers to pack. Do it yourself and carry it along while shifting.
Sources: about.com, howstuffworks.com