- Posted by CERC India
- Posted in Pharmaceuticals
We tested 13 brands of hair oil.
September – October 2004
- We tested 13 brands of hair oil.
- The tests were carried out as per IS: 7123: 1993 specifications for hair oil, the Weights and Measures (Packaged Commodities) Rules,1977 and the Drugs and Cosmetics Act of 1940.
- The peroxide value is prescribed to check the rancidity of hair oil. The higher the oxidation, the greater the chances of emission of an unpleasant rancid odour. Jabakusum Taila (11.50) and Swastik Perfumed Castor Hair Oil (17.12) did not comply with the IS specification for the peroxide value limit of 0-10 milliequivalents (meq) per 1000 gram.
- The Standards of Weights and Measures (Packaged Commodities) Rules 1977 specify the maximum permissible error on declared net quantity (volume) by 6.75 ml for 150 ml. Dabur Vatika Premium Coconut Hair Oil recorded an average weight of 141.7 ml. This was less than the permissible error.
- Unjust Enrichment : While Shanti Amla gave more than the labelled weight and New Nihar Coconut gave the labelled weight, all the other 11 brands gave less than their labelled weight. Jabakusum Taila and Swastik Castor â€” two of the three non-conforming brands â€” gave you the least when price and quantity were considered.
- The IS specifications for microbial parameter permits not more than 1000 micro-organisms (bacterial growth) per gram of oil. The microbial limit is established for safety of the product. Parachute Coconut Oil (2300) did not conform to the IS requirements.
- Two brands of hair oils, namely, Parachute Coconut Oil and Jabakusum Taila, were found to be having suspended particles.
- The colour of the oil varied in different batches of Banphool Oil.
- Our panellists also tested the hair oil brands for performance, fragrance and appearance and easiness of spreading in the sensory tests. On a 5-point scale attributed to overall liking, Deyâ€™s Keo Karpin Hair Oil scored the highest at 83, while Swastik Perfumed Castor Hair Oil (48) scored the least.
- Clinic Plus Coconut Hair Oil and New Nihar Coconut Amla Hair Oil achieved the highest overall score with 91, followed by Maricoâ€™s Hair & Care and Parachute Jasmine (90) each in the second position and Bajaj Almond Drops (87) in the third position.
- We recommend Shanti Amla Hair Oil as our â€˜Best Buyâ€™, based on its reasonable price and a good overall score.
- We tested 3 brands of hair creams – Brylcreem Protein Plus, Brylcreem Dandruff Control and Clinic Active.
- The tests were carried out as per IS: 7679: 1978 specifications for hair creams, the Weights and Measures (Packaged Commodities) Rules,1977 and the Drugs and Cosmetics Act of 1940.
- All the brands met with all the requirements as per the standards.
- Brylcreem Dandruff Control tops the chart with an overall score of 72, followed by Brylcreem Protein Plus (70) and Clinic Active (61).
- Our panellists also tested the hair creams for performance, fragrance and stickiness in the sensory tests. On a 5-point scale for overall liking, Clinic Active scored the highest at (76) followed by Brylcreem Dandruff Control (71) and Brylcreem Protein Plus (64).
- With a good overall score and a reasonable price Brylcreem Dandruff Control Hair Cream is our â€˜Best Buyâ€™.