Nov.18: CONSUMER TIPS
- Posted by CERC India
- Posted in November
Monsoon is the ultimate breeding ground for germs, bacteria and the homemakerâ€™s worst nightmare – insects.Â The most important way one can keep insects away is to keep surroundings clean and free from stagnant water and installing wire mesh. In addition, you can try these home remedies:
- Vinegar and lemon juice – Try a mix of vinegar and eucalyptus oil to repel ants. Alternatively, you can line the entry points and corners of the house with thin lines of lemon juice. Neem oil and lavender oil are also effective insect repellents.
- Cinnamon powder – Insects detest cinnamon powder. Sprinkle it in all corners of the house.
- Coconut oil – Apply coconut oil on your skin to ward off mosquitoes.
- Cucumber slices – Cucumber peels or slices are natural deterrents for ants and cockroaches.
- Empty egg shells – Colour and paint empty egg shells from the outside and hang them in corners, doors and windows to ward off lizards. Peacock feathers also keep lizards away.
- Insect repellent plants – Plant marigolds near windows and doors.Â The flowers repel mosquitoes. You can grow indoor plants like basil, lavender, aloe vera and lemon grass as well, as they have insect-repellent properties.
- Make your own ant bait – Mix 1 teaspoon of boric acid and 6 tablespoons of sugar in two cups of water. Soak cotton balls in this mixture and place them in areas frequented by ants. Ants will stop coming back to your house. Cockroaches too are kept away.
- Keep insects at bay – Bay leaf is an efficient natural insect repellent that keeps cockroaches, moths, earwigs and mosquitoes away. Bay leaves, cloves and eucalyptus hung around doors or windows also repel flies.
- Scare off spiders – Mix water and unsweetened lemon juice. Wipe yourÂ countertopsÂ with the mixture or spray on doorways and windowsills. This will keep spiders at bay.
- Kill bed bugs – Apply kerosene oil on your bed, on the corners and in the spaces between the joints to kill bed bugs.
Â Sources: www.thebetterindia.com, www.makaan.com, www.bobvila.com, dengarden.com