Sept – 16: FOOD AND HEALTH
7 foods that keep you young
We constantly look for magic potions that will keep us at our youthful best. Several food items have age-defying properties. All we have to do is add them to our diet. Find the fountain of youth with these seven foods:
1. Nuts: Nuts contain essential fats with brain boosting power, antioxidants with disease fighting properties and anti-aging skin benefits.
2. Yogurt: It contains â€œgood bacteriaâ€ that help maintain healthy gut and reduce age-related intestinal illness. It provides the calcium and phosphorus that can boost tooth enamel. In addition, yogurt consumption helps reduce skin wrinkling.
3. Whole grains: They offer an array of anti-aging elements, from fibre and protein to iron. They are also the best appetite-satisfying alternative to refined white carbohydrates which are unhealthy.
4. Water: Looking for the real fountain of youth? The answer is plain water. Our bodies are made up of over 70% water and it keeps us fresh and hydrated. Reach for a glass of water instead of coffee or diet soda and you will look younger. Hydrated skin looks dewy, fresh and young.
5. Dark green vegetables: They are filled with several vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that help build and repair our cells. The high vitamin K, folate and beta-carotene present in green vegetables has an anti-aging effect.
6. Olive oil: The monounsaturated fats in olive oil are responsible for low rates of heart disease and cancer among regular consumers. Olive oil also contains polyphenols – powerful antioxidants that help prevent age-related diseases.
6. Dark chocolate: Any chocolate that contains at least 70% cocoa is full of proteins and vitamin B. Regular small bites of this chocolate will help burn fat and improve your skin and hair.