TEST REPORT : INSTANT NOODLES
- Posted by CERC India
- Posted in Press Releases
Consumer Health is not a priority for Noodle manufacturers, reveal CERC tests Instant Noodles remain unhealthy even after 7 years
Ahmedabad, 24 October 2019Â
Grahak Sathi (October-November 2019), the National Consumer Magazine in Hindi published by Consumer Education and Research Centre (CERC), Ahmedabad, recently released its test findings on Instant Noodles. We tested 9 brands of Instant Noodles which revealed that all brands were high on sodium and fat. Comparison of our tests in 2012, 2014 and 2019 show that nothing much has changed. Do not blindly believe the claims made by the advertisers claim that a particular brand of instant noodles is â€œhealthyâ€.
9 brands of instant noodles â€˜masalaâ€™ were procured from Ahmedabad market. The brands were Maggi 2 Minutes Noodles, Chingâ€™s Secret Schezwan Instant Noodles, Maggi Nutri-licious Atta Noodles, Sunfeast Yippee!Â Noodles, Knorr Soupy Noodles, Top Ramen Atta Noodles, Patanjali Atta noodles, Wai-Wai Ready to Eat Noodles and Reliance Select Instant Noodles.
KEY FINDINGS (see table in Annexure for detailed results)
- Highest sodium content was found in Knorr Soupy Noodles (1897mg/100g) followed by Chingâ€™s Secret Schezwan Instant Noodles (1745mg/100g) and the lowest sodium content was in Maggi Nutri-licious Atta Noodles at 1093mg/100g. (As per UKâ€™s Food Standard Agency (FSA) recommendations [Traffic Signpost Labelling Technical Guidance], sodium content of more than 600mg/100g is considered as â€˜highâ€™)
- The fat content was the highest in Sunfeast Yippee!Â Noodles at 21.2g/100g against the labelled 20.3g/100g and the lowest in Maggi Nutri-licious Atta Noodles at 14.2g/100g. Knorr Soupy Noodles had 17.6g/100g though it claimed to have 15g/100g. (As per UKâ€™s Food Standard Agency (FSA) recommendations [Traffic Signpost Labelling Technical Guidance], fat content more than 20g/100g is considered â€˜highâ€™)
- 3 brands – Sunfeast Yippee!Â Noodles, Top Ramen Atta Noodles and Reliance Select Instant Noodles – did not mention the amount of sodium content in the nutritional information given on the label.
- Alarming Trend
- Fat and sodium content reduced in Maggi 2 Minutes Noodles, Maggi Nutri-licious Atta Noodles, Knorr Soupy Noodles and Sunfeast Yippee!Â Noodles from 2012 to 2014. However, both parameters showed increase when tested in 2019.
- For Chingâ€™s Secret Schezwan Instant Noodles, fat content decreased in 2019 as compared to 2012 whereas sodium showed increase in the same period.
- Fat content in Reliance Select Instant Noodles decreased in 2014 and increased again in 2019 whereas sodium consistently showed an increase from 2012 to 2019 (see table performance of brands over the years).
Top Ramen Atta Noodles gets the first rank among all brands. If price is also considered, Maggi 2 Minutes Noodles, which obtained the second best rank, is reasonably priced (Rs. 16/100g) and also has a lower fat and salt content compared to Wai-Wai Ready to Eat Noodles which is at the same rank. Our best buy among the 9 brands of Instant Noodles is Maggi 2 Minutes NoodlesPERFORMANCE OF BRANDS OVER THE YEARS
|Sr. No.||Brand Name||Fat Content (g/100g)||Sodium (mg/100g)|
|1||Maggi 2 Minutes Noodles||14.7||11.55||15.6||821.0||675.75||1198|
|2||Maggi Nutri-licious Atta Noodles||17.0||12||14.2||1031.0||831||1093|
|3||Knorr Soupy Noodles||14.8||12.6||17.6||1943.0||1506||1897|
|4||Chingâ€™s Secret Schezwan Instant Noodles||17.3||–||15.8||1210.0||–||1745|
|5||Sunfeast Yippee!Â Noodles||18.3||14.48||21.2||1152.0||753.75||1099|
|6||Reliance Select Instant Noodles*||17.4||12.68||16.1||1008.0||1118.25||1200|
* We tested New Reliance Select Instant Noodles in 2012 and 2014, while in 2019 the brand tested was Reliance Select Instant Noodles
- FSSAI will be requested to urgently set limits of fat and sodium, taking into account our countryâ€™s dietary traditions and tropical climate. We will also request them to make the declaration of the fat and sodium content mandatory in labelling requirements for instant noodles.
- Manufacturers should make a conscious effort to reduce the level of sodium in instant noodles and increase the amount of elements such as calcium and iron to maximise the nutritional benefits. They need to reformulate products and invest in better, healthier versions.
- The Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) should seriously focus on advertisements and promotions of noodles addressed to children, and also on celebrities endorsing Noodles as healthy snack/breakfast.
- Efforts should be made towards education and awareness of consumers regarding health impact of Noodles
To read the complete story click onÂ https://online.fliphtml5.com/xjof/pgyt/
For further information, please contact
Ms Pritee Shah (O) 079-27489945/46Â (M) +91 99048 6383
Table – Instant Noodles: Test Results
|Brands||Ranks||Overall Score1||Price/ 100g2(Rs.)||Sodium
|Acid Insoluble Ash (%)||Acid Value|
|more than 600mg/100g is high||more than 20g/100g is high||Max. 10.0||Max 0.3||Max 2.0|
|Top Ramen Atta Noodles||1||70||21.43||1098||20.6||5.7||0.004||1.2|
|Maggi 2 Minutes Noodles||2||67||16||1198||15.6||5.5||0.02||1.7|
|Wai-Wai Ready to Eat Noodles||2||67||16||1348||18.2||3.0||0.03||1.7|
|Reliance Select Instant Noodles||2||67||24||1200||16.1||6.7||0.02||1.4|
|Sunfeast Yippee!Â Noodles||3||65||16.67||1099||21.2||5.4||0.02||1.6|
|Maggi Nutri-licious Atta Noodles||4||62||25||1093||14.2||5.8||0.16||1.6|
|Patanjali Atta noodles||4||62||16.67||1299||20.0||4.9||0.02||1.8|
|Chingâ€™s Secret Schezwan Instant Noodles||5||59||16.67||1745||15.8||5.5||0.04||1.8|
Knorr Soupy Noodles
2Â Â Â Price/100g calculated from MRP and rounded off
3.Â For sodium content lesser value is better
4.Â For fat content lesser value is better