- Posted by CERC India
- Posted in Food
- Our recent tests on potato chips reveals that different brands of packaged chips differ quite a lot in their salt and fat content
- Uncle chips contained the highest 933 mg of sodium per 100 g.
- Reliance Select Masti Oye had the least sodium at 470 mg per 100 g.
- Bingo had the lowest fat content at 30.8 g per 100 g.
- Lay’s classic and Real Wafers both had the highest fat content at 35 g per 100 g
- Lay’s baked chips had the lowest fat content at just 13.9 g per 100 g.
- The fats present in the chips are likely to become â€™trans fatty acidâ€™ as theyâ€™re cooked at high temperature.
(To zoom click on table)
Areas of Action
Mandatory standards for fat and sodium inÂ chips should be set at the earliest.
FSSAI has formed an expert group to advise it on dietary intake of salt, sugar and fat. The expert group should expedite decisions on this urgent matter.
Manufacturers should mandatorily declare salt/sodium content and reduce the level of fat and sodium in their products.
For Details Report CLICK HERE